Happy Mardi Gras (or Shrove Tuesday)! I hope you’re getting a chance to celebrate with donuts, king cake, cookies, etc. I will be celebrating with a banana and almond butter thanks to our Whole30! I can’t believe Ash Wednesday starts tomorrow. These past couple of months have seriously flown by, partly due to lots of work events and an active toddler. The past couple of Lents were difficult for me due to pregnancy (2 years ago) and an active baby who nursed a LOT (last year), when it came to traditional fasting. I wasn’t able to give up meat on Fridays when I was pregnant because of the need for protein/certain aversions. I can’t remember what (or if?) I did instead that year. Last year I was able to get by on eggs and fish on Fridays but also did something different and gave up social media, which was definitely a struggle for me but helpful. I plan on doing the same again so I can focus more on family, prayer, and personal reading.
I’ve come up with a list of a few of our family’s favorite grain-free/paleo-friendly/gluten-free meatless meals:
- Nom Nom Paleo’s sweet potato hash and eggs (So filling! Would be great with bacon or sausage on any other day!)
- Any kind of veggie frittata (When the Whole30 ends I’ll make one with cheese in it!)
- Shrimp scampi with veggies or zoodles
- These salmon cakes (very simple to assemble and can be made on a skillet too)!
- Simple salmon with veggies
- Cauliflower fried rice (omit the bacon and add an extra egg)
- Coconut flour pancakes (excited to make these again after the Whole30! I normally omit the honey)
- Tuna salad with homemade mayo
- Rice pasta with meatless sauce and/or shrimp
- Cheese and spinach quesadillas on corn tortillas, salsa and guacamole
- Garlic fried rice and with fried eggs
Looking at this list, I realize that there are a lot of eggs in there! What will you be making this Lent? I’d love to hear!